Goodbye Uncle Michael
Uncle Michael or Uncle Mike as what we called him for short, left us on 9 Jun 06. He is the father of my dear cousin Marina. He passed away at his favourite place, the turf club.
I will never forget how he would come over to my place during Chinese New Year's Eve way before dinner time to catch a nap before the reunion dinner. Part of the reason was to let Marina come over and play with me. And I remembered how my Dad always say 'Ahiya, you don't know mez? Your Uncle Mike born in the year of the pig. That's why eat sleep eat sleep only.'.
But I know that out of all the 4 siblings that my Dad has, he and Uncle Mike were the closest. Though both of them never really told how they felt about one another. I could tell during the funeral that my Dad would really miss him. For the first time in my life, I saw my Dad cry.
He just stood there alone in the carpark. His back facing us. Holding his specs in one hand and the other wiping away the tears. I walked over to give him hug but he told me that he wanted to be alone. So I left my Dad there to cry alone, missing his beloved brother. Uncle Mike left something for my Dad. He told Auntie Jean that he wanted my Dad to have it if anything were to happen to him. It was a jade ring. I am sure that my Dad would keep it safe.
I have always remembered him to be the only Uncle who always gave me the biggest ang bao during CNY. I too miss him dearly. His laugh, his smile and his scoldings. I think partly because he and Dad look and they behave so much alike.
Uncle Mike, you will always be in our hearts. Don't worry about Grandma. All of us will be around for her. And I am sure Marina and Melvin will take care of their Mommy. Rest In Peace...
I will never forget how he would come over to my place during Chinese New Year's Eve way before dinner time to catch a nap before the reunion dinner. Part of the reason was to let Marina come over and play with me. And I remembered how my Dad always say 'Ahiya, you don't know mez? Your Uncle Mike born in the year of the pig. That's why eat sleep eat sleep only.'.
But I know that out of all the 4 siblings that my Dad has, he and Uncle Mike were the closest. Though both of them never really told how they felt about one another. I could tell during the funeral that my Dad would really miss him. For the first time in my life, I saw my Dad cry.
He just stood there alone in the carpark. His back facing us. Holding his specs in one hand and the other wiping away the tears. I walked over to give him hug but he told me that he wanted to be alone. So I left my Dad there to cry alone, missing his beloved brother. Uncle Mike left something for my Dad. He told Auntie Jean that he wanted my Dad to have it if anything were to happen to him. It was a jade ring. I am sure that my Dad would keep it safe.
I have always remembered him to be the only Uncle who always gave me the biggest ang bao during CNY. I too miss him dearly. His laugh, his smile and his scoldings. I think partly because he and Dad look and they behave so much alike.
Uncle Mike, you will always be in our hearts. Don't worry about Grandma. All of us will be around for her. And I am sure Marina and Melvin will take care of their Mommy. Rest In Peace...



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home